Thursday, August 23, 2007

Team Building: Paul Builds Unity Amidst Diversity (Ephesians 4:1-8)

Extracted from The Maxwell Leadership Bible

The apostle Paul labored to foster unity amidst a diverse population - in others words, he worked at team building.

He reminds the Ephesians of the attitude of the individual players (Eph. 4:1-3), then discusses the attitude of the corporate body (3:4-6). Paul insists there is one body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and Father. He says each player has been given some grace and some gifts. He calls the church a temple, a bride, a mystery, an army, and a body.

Think of Paul as a coach, building his team. How do we build a diverse group into a unified team? Ask the following questions:

1. Am I building people, or building a kingdom and using people?
2. Do I care enough to confront people when it will make a difference?
3. Am I listening with more of my ears?
4. Am I asking the right questions to develop the right relationships?
5. What are the major strengths of each individual?
6. Have I placed a high priority on their job?
7. Have I shown the value they will receive from this work?
8. Are their goals compatible with mine?

No comments: