Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Defining Moments In Samuel's Life

Extracted from Henry Blackaby's Chosen to be God's Prophet

Section 1 : Faithful Priest

"Then I will raise up for Myself a faithful priest who shall do according to what is in My heart and in My mind. I will build him a sure house, and he shall walk before My anointed forever."
1 SAMUEL 2:35

DEFINING MOMENTS IN SAMUEL'S LIFE
"In those days there was no king in Israel; everyone did what was right in his own eyes"
Judges 17:6

When you read about the life of Samuel there are incredible defining moments that capture your attention. Many events that happen throughout an ordinary day are not noteworthy. There are all kinds of routines that are normal and natural every day. But defining moments of life shape the whole direction in which you go. These moments may determine where you live, who you marry, what college you attend, or what direction your occupation takes. As these defining moments come, they bring both soberness and joy to life.

Reading and meditating on Samuel's defining moments will help you to take a closer look at your own life. If you will take a spiritual inventory of your life, ministry, and family, you will find there are some moments that are different from the run-of-the-mill moments. These moments are so incredibly different from the ordinary times of life that you simply cannot forget what God did in your life, to your life, and through your life. These defining moments that come in your relationship to God, your ministry, or your life itself then shape and define your life.

When you read of how God directed Samuel, you will become aware that there is a clear word from the Scriptures for your own life also. For Samuel, God guided and shaped him to be a prophet in the midst of His people when the people insisted on disobeying Him.

National and local occurrences in our day can also be defined as times of spiritual crisis, as occurred in Samuel's day. But what are the dynamics involved in crucial times? What does God have in mind when He selects and shapes a person? How does He go about it? How does He bring His purposes to pass through His chosen servant? A glimpse into what God did in Samuel will help you see what God must do to develop the leader His people need. In turn, this will help you define God's divine moments in your life.

My Thoughts:
I have my defining moments:
1. The moments when my pillar of support, my father passed away, at age 51. I had just turned 21 then. Real life begun and the sheltered life vanished, once and for all. I learnt more in the next 10 years what I should have learnt in 30 years.
2. Followed immediately by a breaking off with my Christian girlfriend within days. I wanted to face reality as I am not a Christian boyfriend. I studied in an Anglican school for 10 years, had weekly chapel lessons and sung hymns every day, and was quite a playful and naughty boy, too.
3. That period was when I really questioned God. I was not a Christian then, and I knew in my heart that I would be one some day - never knew which day. I even asked God why am I in such a situation and why not take away my life. Who could understand what I felt then? But God must have a purpose for me.
4. 15 years later, I was very down in my job. One day, God "opened" my eyes and I found comfort in Him and an opening was found a year later.
5. In 1995 while discussing a draggy en-bloc sale, I woke up one day sensing the deal was done. It was a deal, not a no deal. My life changed, and so did my bank account, my car and my house. God has blessed me very much so that I will have one less big worry in my life. I have more time for Him.
6. 5 years later, I saw Jesus in a tear drop when I was singing the song "Here I Am, Lord". Now you know why my blog is called by this name. I started to have my first crying spell and to "hear" God, always at some point of the songs I sang and also through my quiet time. Not very "theological" then, I woke up early in the mornings, searched high and low through the Bible to find out what is God saying to me. I also felt comforted after each "baby" cry. It is my wish that every brother and sister can experience God and to hear Him. God wants to have a personal relationship with each of His people, only if we care to.
7. And many, many more defining moments.
8. That is why I am still clinging on to God's promises. If I am faithful to Him, He will be faithful to me. He has lead me through many trials that I had gone through and He will also lead me through those trials which are coming by.
9. To God be the glory.

No comments: