Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Early Retirement or More Likely Semi-Retirement

I am still officially a staff member of NUS, clocking almost 24 years service. With my National Service stint taken into account, I recently collected my 25 years long service award, a 4-figure sum. I like to believe that this is an achievement in these days of constant change and uncertainty.

I always knew I will never ever make it till age 62 with NUS. To all those who lasted or soon to be there, I SALUTE them for their sheer endurance and loyalty. God bless them for their commitment.

And in 4 days time, I do not have a title and a name card. Just my reputation or creditabiity to bang on in my next job and God with me. Now, is a credit card necessary to prove your creditability!

Though I will be in early retirement or I like to call it semi-retirement, the only differences are that I have one less body (big one) to account to and that I am going to do what I like best in my heart. Do I really know what I like? I have to find out, there in the "thick jungle" and through hearing God.

Even in semi-retirement, I will still have to be accountable to God, my wife, children, other family members, church and all the ministries that comes with it, condominium management affairs, and never, never to forget all those friends who have loved or still love me. After all, life is really about relationships - personal relationship with God and fellow human beings. Without loving relationships, we would be like prisoners living in a cell, cast away from others and living in a world of our own, unless we find Him with us. That is why, some prisoners turned over after being in prison. They felt that God was with them when their loved ones and friends have "forgotten and abandoned" them.

These 15 days, I have been very busy with church work, some more farewell lunches while on leave, spending time with my family especially my 2 darling daughters back from Perth, shopping at Suntec City and VivoCity, meals at Princess Terrace (Penang buffet) at Kings Copthorne and Crystal Jade Dining at Vivocity (view of Straits of Singapore is fantastic). The Island Cafe at Tangs Store at Vivocity ($9.90 set lunches) also has a very nice garden view, inches away from you and facing Telok Blangah Road. Take it from a person who has a hand in Dining@NUS.

No comments: